Making png images transparent using paint.net

Something I needed recently which I've wanted to blog. It's fairly simple, and also documented elsewhere online, but as with most things I do technical blog wise, explanations work better with screenshots. Example image, "tick.png" with a non-transparent white background: tick If you don't have it already, download and install paint.net. It is great and is to MS Paint what Notepad++ is to MS Notepad, though you need Windows 7 or above as a minimum system requirement: http://www.dotpdn.com/downloads/pdn.html Fire up paint.net and open the image: paintdotnet1 Select the magic wand tool. You may need to adjust the tolerance setting shown, but for this example I kept it on 50%. Then click anywhere on the image's white background: paintdotnet2 Use Erase Selection from the drop down menu or just hit the Delete button: paintdotnet3 So that what you end up with is your original tick symbol minus the white background: paintdotnet4

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Using the Supervisor Controller Pattern to access View controls in MVVM

Getting started with Tesseract optical character recognition (OCR) library in Visual Studio

How to send an e-mail via Google SMTP using C#